We show you how to expel phlegm naturally, relieving persistent cough. Home remedies like saltwater or steam bath will instantly soothe you.
There are many reasons why mucus and phlegm accumulate in the throat: colds, flu, allergic processes, rhinitis, sinusitis … If it is not treated quickly and it is possible to eliminate them, they could reach the lungs and generate more serious complications, such as bronchitis, pneumonia, or a low blood oxygen level.
But do not worry, we offer you some tips to eliminate mucus from the throat naturally with home remedies. And remember to be careful with sudden changes in temperature, they are one of the main reasons for the appearance of phlegm.
Tips for removing mucus
You may not know it, but there is a therapy called respiratory physiotherapy that teaches you to cough to move phlegm and eliminate secretions to optimize oxygenation. To help you with this task, you can follow the following tips:
- Drink plenty of fluids, this will help you soften and expel phlegm.
- If you steam with water and salt, you will open the high ways of clearing the mucus.
- Humidify the environment so that the phlegm softens and costs you less work to eliminate them.
- Try to breathe clean, fresh air from the street to help reduce a runny cough, even when it’s cold.
- When you have a cough with phlegm, sleep with your head upright. You can put two pillows or a folded towel under it.
- Ventilate your home so that charged air is renewed for at least five minutes a day.
- Avoid tobacco smoke at all costs, as it will make you cough and produce phlegm whether you have a cold or not.
- Try to cough loudly when you cough, so you can peel off the mucus better and avoid coughing as much, something not recommended if you suffer from chronic pharyngitis.
- Use seawater to clean the nasal passages and breathe easier. Do not use pharmacy inhalers without a prescription.
- Do not take syrups without medical advice or from your pharmacist, thus avoiding possible allergic reactions and major problems.
How to expel phlegm with home remedies
- Some foods that help clear mucus and reduce coughs are garlic and onion. Both are beneficial for a multitude of conditions, including cough with a runny nose, as well as having antibacterial properties and reinforcing our defenses.
- Thyme tea is not only an excellent diuretic, but it is also a great expectorant.
- Another great ally against phlegm in the throat is the infusions of ginger and cardamom. This is because they are decongestant and anti-inflammatory.
- You can also try putting compresses with warm water on your face, around the area of the sinuses and cheekbones. The heat opens the airways because it acts as a dilator, helping the mucus to be expelled without problems.
- With some dried figs, sliced onion, and a lemon, you can make a very beneficial homemade syrup to get rid of a cough with a runny nose. To do this, place all the ingredients in a saucepan over low heat until the water is reduced by half. Strain the mixture, add a little honey, and store it in the fridge. You can take a tablespoon at most 3 times a day.
- Yogic nasal cleansing is also very effective in removing phlegm. With this method, you need a kind of horns, like a burbot, which you must fill with water and salt. Tilt your head to one side and insert the end of the burb into the highest nose. Pour the water, which will come out through the other nostril, and repeat the operation on the other side.
- Finally, making eucalyptus vapors with boiling water and salt helps to clear the airways, as this plant has a great balsamic effect.
Other methods to remove phlegm
Apart from the mucus in the throat being very annoying and causing a lot of cough and itching, they can cause chronic pharyngitis if we have an allergy. To facilitate its expulsion, it is best to hydrate the phlegm so as not to irritate our throat when we cough and to prevent them from sticking to the throat walls. The following methods will help you remove them.
- Drink tea with honey and lemon. The lemon breaks the molecules of the mucus making them more liquid, facilitating the expulsion of the phlegm. For its part, honey creates a protective layer around the throat reducing irritation, essential during chronic pharyngitis processes. Also, drinking hot tea will help to eliminate the feeling that something is stuck in your throat and will soften it.
- With other medicinal plants, you can also make different syrup recipes, for example, marshmallow, watercress, and mullein. Also, if you mix it with honey, propolis, and anise, you will get some great remedies to eliminate cough with a runny nose.
- Another natural way to clear mucus from your throat and lungs is eucalyptus essential oil. Mix 1 or 2 drops of this oil with a teaspoon of coconut oil or other vegetable oil and massage your chest. You will see how it clears the airways and improves irritation.
- Lastly, you can gargle with salt water, this will help alleviate your throat irritation, producing instant relief. You can use this method up to 4 times a day.
- We recommend that if after three days the phlegm does not improve with these home remedies, you should visit your doctor. He will check for any problems that require specific medication.