How to make homemade disinfectant with natural products:
Industrial disinfectants can be harmful to your health. We show you how to make homemade disinfectant to clean your hands, your clothes, or your home.
The pathogens are present in our day to day, either through the people with whom we are in contact or through the objects that we touch. We take many of these germs home with us, whether it’s on our hands, clothing, or shoes. Some of them can be a focus of infection of contagious diseases such as coronavirus, so it is extremely important to clean properly to keep our spaces disinfected.
Individual protection measures against respiratory diseases such as coronavirus include performing frequent hand hygiene with soap and water or alcoholic solutions. Another measure we recommend is to clean regularly, especially after periods of illness. Industrial disinfectants can be very useful, although sometimes they become very aggressive to the skin or our body. For that reason, we show you how to make homemade disinfectant to disinfect and clean your hands, your skin, your clothes, or your home.
Currently, there are many homemade recipes to disinfect the skin. These homemade disinfectant gels are not infallible to protect themselves from the coronavirus (COVID-2019), but they can contribute to it. The best way to clean our hands is with soap and water and, in case you can’t do it this way, you should use an alcohol-based disinfecting gel.
These gels can be found in pharmacies, but high demand has reduced their supply, and prices have skyrocketed. As a consequence, the WHO has offered two recipes for making disinfecting gels. The following ingredients are included in both recipes: ethyl or isopropyl alcohol, distilled water, glycerin, and hydrogen peroxide. However, it is not a recipe that anyone can prepare, since it is more focused on pharmacists and health specialists. Besides, it must be done in a laboratory and with adequate sanitary conditions so that no contamination occurs.
Homemade disinfectant for the skin
As we said in the previous section, the most effective way to keep the skin well disinfected is to wash with soap and water correctly. No sanitizing gel is a substitute for soap and water. Thus, you will get rid of germs and at the same time avoid the spread of infectious diseases.
We show you the recipe for a powerful homemade hand sanitizer. These are the ingredients:
- 20 ml of 96º ethyl alcohol
- 6 ml of aloe vera gel
- 10 drops of lavender essential oil
- 15 drops of rosemary essential oil
- First of all, sterilize the instruments you are going to use.
- Add the alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, and aloe vera gel in a container. Shake the mixture well until the ingredients are homogeneously integrated.
- Add essential oils and mix again.
- Place the mixture in one or more containers and seal them very well.
- Finally, let the mixture sit for 72 hours so that the germs that the container may contain are eliminated.
Homemade disinfectant for wounds
Although having a small first aid kit at home is recommended, you may need to disinfect a wound and may not be able to because you don’t have what it takes. For this reason, we show you some home remedies to disinfect wounds :
- Aloe vera gel. Apply the gel on a piece of cloth and wrap the wound with it. It is best to use a purchased gel, as natural aloe vera contains components that can irritate the skin.
- In case you only have natural aloe vera, you should leave the leaf to rest for 24 hours to eliminate all irritating agents, such as aloin.
- Garlic compresses. Chop a clove of garlic and apply it on the wound. Hold it with a bandage so that its juice is absorbed by the skin since it has great disinfecting qualities.
- Lavender poultice. Lavender is antiseptic, antibiotic, and astringent, so it will be useful to heal your wounds. Crush some leaves of this plant and cook them with water until there is a thick mass. Apply it on the wound and you will notice its effects.
You should know that natural wound disinfectants are not entirely effective if they are deep or infected. If you have a wound that does not heal, visit your doctor to prevent more serious infections. And remember to disinfect your hands very well before handling any wound.
Home disinfectant for the house
One of the quintessential natural cleansers and powerful disinfectant is vinegar. To be more effective, you can combine it with products such as lemon, rosemary, and bicarbonate. This way you will avoid the use of toxic and aggressive chemical products with your body and the environment.
These are the ingredients that you must mix to get a powerful homemade disinfectant, especially for the soil:
- 60 ml of apple cider vinegar
- 100 grams of baking soda
- 5 drops of lemon essential oil
- Water to fill the container
Once you have mixed them all, use a mop to spread the mixture on the floor. This cleaner is especially recommended for wooden floors, as it does not damage them like other more aggressive products.
Homemade disinfectant for vegetables and fruits
The best method to naturally disinfect food is as follows:
- Mix one part vinegar and three parts water and lemon in a bowl.
- Wash food under running water for 2 minutes first.
- Introduce the food into the preparation and leave it for 10 minutes.
- Rinse, dry them and they are ready to eat.
Homemade disinfectant for clothes
One of the most powerful techniques for disinfecting clothes is to boil the clothes for 30 minutes. Then wash it with chlorine on a long cycle in the washing machine. But if you prefer, you can use the natural products of this recipe:
- Pour water into a container large enough to fit the clothes you want to disinfect.
- Add 4 tablespoons of baking soda and mix until completely dissolved.
- Now add 2 tablespoons of white vinegar, 1 glass of lemon juice, and 15 drops of lavender essential oil. Mix all the ingredients well.
- Put the clothes to soak in this mixture and, after a while, wash them in the washing machine with cold water.
Homemade sanitizer for bathrooms
This area of the house is where more bacteria and microorganisms accumulate. Therefore, the homemade disinfectant for the bathroom must be very effective. One way to do it is with this natural disinfectant:
- Mix 60 ml of hydrogen peroxide, the juice of one lemon, 3 tablespoons of rosemary essential oil, and 60 ml of hot water in a container with a spray bottle, if possible.
- Spray all surfaces in the bathroom with it: the shower, the sink, the tiles, and the toilet.
- Leave on for 5 minutes and then clean with an absorbent cloth or sponge.