Every woman is blessed with a cycle of life aka menstrual life. But for many women, the blessing becomes an evil eye. As they suffer abnormally long period with an unbearable amount of pain.
Abnormally Long Period causes
There are a lot of reasons for abnormally long periods, some are given here below
- An eating disorder like anorexia and bulimia has often been a reason for the abnormally long period.
- Excessive weight loss or sudden weight gain also causes abnormally long period.
- Emotional and stress health too has a long bearing on the arrival of periods.
- Periods can get affected if a woman suffering from any hormonal condition.
- The frequency of menstruations is also controlled by any drug or intake of birth control pills that effects your hormones.
Signs and symptoms
The abnormally long period has the following signs and symptoms
- Missing 3 or more cycles are not an alarm for pregnancy, if you are on a safe birth control, or sexually inactive, they can be signs of irregular bleeding too.
- If you have 3 to 4 days long periods it’s healthy for you, but if they last for about a week, then it is time to consult a doctor.
- Your cycles pay you irregular visits they are more than 35 days or less than 21 days apart.
- If you experience stomachache during those days it is a normal thing, however, if these crams are leading to vomiting and excruciating or nausea, reasons can be the abnormally long period cycle.
- Bleeding or spotting after sex, and at the time between two-period cycles is another sign and you need immediate medical attention.
List of abnormally long period home remedies for you:
Ginger for the abnormally long period
What all you need: Drinking water, Sugar or Honey, Ginger
Directions: Ground ginger (1/2 tbsp) and then boil it in half a cup of drinking water, add honey or sugar and drink when lukewarm.
How it works: ginger helps in promoting consistent flow and regulating monthly cycles. Ginger also relieves you of the stomach cramps.
Tip: Drink this water thrice daily for a month for better results.
Fennel for the Abnormally long period
What all you need: Drinking water and Fennel Seeds
Directions: Soak 2 tbsp of fennel seeds in a glass of water overnight. Strain this and drink empty stomach in the early morning.
How it works: funnel helps to regulate the cycle and promote the flow. Its antispasmodic properties ease out the cramps.
Tips: to observe changes imbibe the fennel seed water daily for a month minimum.
Unripe papaya for the abnormally long period
What all you need: Salt and 1 bowl, freshly chopped raw papaya
Directions: you can make juice of it by putting 1 bowl papaya and little bit salt in your blender or just sprinkle salt over a bowl full of raw papaya and munch as a snack.
How it works: if the abnormality you are feeling facing is due to nearing menopause and stress, raw papaya is the best thing to fix this. It helps induces periods and contracting uterus muscle fibers.
Tip: avoid this during your periods.
Turmeric for the abnormally long period
What all you need: ½ teaspoon of freshly ground turmeric or turmeric powder and warm milk
Directions: Mix turmeric powder or fresh ground turmeric with a glass full of lukewarm milk and drink it every night before you go to your bed for sleep.
How it works: This home remedy spice regulates menstruation and has warming properties that mend hormonal imbalances. Its antispasmodic properties aspect soothes down cramps too.
Tip: The Best thing about this home remedy is that it has almost no side effects and you can take it for as long as you want.
Cinnamon for the abnormally long period
What all you need: Milk and ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder
Directions: mix ½ teaspoon of the cinnamon powder to a glass of lukewarm milk and sip.
How it works: Cinnamon has warming properties which are very good to relieve stomach cramps. Cinnamon also contains a hydroxychalcone element which helps to regulate the insulin level.
Tips: if you don’t like milk with cinnamon then drop this idea and sprinkle your morning toast with some cinnamon powder or drink cinnamon tea.
Bittergourd for the abnormally long period
What all you need: Lemon, bitter gourd and salt to taste
Directions: Blend bitter gourd in a blender or mixer. Add half a lemon juice to bitter gourd juice and sprinkle some salt, as per your taste and then just drink this juice. It will be bitter but yes, you can do it.
Tip: Drink this bitter gourd juice every day for a couple of weeks.
Sesame seeds and jaggery for the abnormally long period
What all you need: Sesame seeds and jaggery to taste
Directions: Roast the sesame seeds and form a fine powder by grinding with jaggery. Consume 1 teaspoon every day in the morning on an empty stomach for at least a month.
How it works: Together jaggery and sesame seeds works miraculously to cure the abnormally long period problem.
Tips: Don’t consume this concentration during periods.
Tips, Prevention and After Care
- Check on your diet: Make sure to eat rich iron diet, deficient of which can cause no menstrual flow or lesser. Don’t go on a crash diet without consulting a physician.
- Avoid cold beverage: Avoid drinking those drinks which contain caffeine because they hamper the proper functioning of your body.
- Use hot water bag: Put a hot water bag by your tummy, it will relieve you and dissolve the clots.
- Practice meditation and yoga: Malasana, Dhanurasana, Ustrasana, Adho Mukha Svanasan, and Matsyasana are best yoga positions to make your periods regular and meditation will give peace to your body.
- Stay away from stress: tension and stress lead to emotional imbalance and this will push your cycle further.