Reaching the refrigerated aisle of the supermarket and trying to choose a healthy yogurt has become a really difficult task. To the great variety of brands and flavors that yogurt can have, we have to add all the functional “with” and “without” that may occur to us.
In the same way, we are forced to go through the list of labeling ingredients and, many times, we are not entirely clear. What should we consider to make a good choice? In this article, we will discuss how to choose a healthy yogurt.
Read Also: 10 Proven Health Benefits Of Yogurt
What is the healthiest yogurt?
To start, let’s get straight to the point: the healthy yogurt we can choose is whole and unsweetened natural yogurt. We are not interested in any “with” yogurt or “without” yogurt.
The ingredients of a good yogurt should be only two: milk and lactic ferments. So everything that escapes from this simple formula cannot be considered a good choice for our daily food.
Nutritional properties and benefits of yogurts
If we know how to choose a healthy yogurt, it can have benefits for our health. Yogurt is a food that provides us with many nutrients and can be part of a healthy and balanced diet without any problem.
Although its nutritional composition can vary between those made with cow, sheep or goat milk. In general, we can say that it gives us:
- Proteins of high biological value
- Saturated fats
- Calcium and phosphorus
- Vitamins A and D
Apart from being a nutritious food, one of the main benefits of yogurt is that it is very rich in probiotics . It contains significant amounts of beneficial bacteria, mainly lactobacilli, and streptococci, which give us positive effects in the body, not only at the intestinal level.
Also, although it has a slightly acidic taste, it is very light and digestive food. Even for people with lactose intolerance problems, it is much better than milk, since lactose has been broken down by bacteria.
Finally, it should be noted that thanks to its proteins and fat it is a satiating food, also indicated for people who follow diets to lose weight.
What yogurt is not healthy?
To be able to take advantage of all the benefits of yogurt we must choose a healthy yogurt. Or what is the same, stop eating those options that should not be commonly used. The worst options are yogurts with high levels of sugar, skimmed and dairy desserts.
With added sugar
One of the focus of attention has focused mainly on the amount of added sugar that we can find in many yogurts. These are varieties that are not natural yogurt and are usually made with sugar or sweeteners :
- Fruit yogurts. Most with a very little amount of fruit or, directly, fruity.
- Yogurt with cereals, muesli or “superfoods” (goji, quinoa, chia, etc.). Generally, they usually have a very small percentage of these “special” ingredients.
- Functional drinks and yogurts. They are those to which some component that can be beneficial for health has been added. We refer to probiotics, calcium, plant sterols, among others. If we follow a sufficient and healthy diet they are not necessary. And many of them have a long list of ingredients (with aromas, dyes, and other additives) that do not contribute anything to us nutritionally.
- Yogurts for babies. Starting in the ninth month or so, babies can start taking some tablespoons of yogurt. But be careful with those yogurts prepared especially for them, as they are usually a much less healthy product than whole natural yogurts of a lifetime.
One of the problems of skimmed yogurts or zero% is that they lose the creaminess and flavor that precisely gives them fat. And the same goes for yogurts 0,0: “zero fat and zero sugars”.
Manufacturers end up adding other ingredients such as sweeteners, starches, and other additives to give flavor and consistency. The result is a product of worse nutritional quality than that of a whole yogurt made only with milk and lactic ferments.
Also, scientific studies are emerging that deny the bad reputation of whole milk, saturated fats and their relationship to being overweight, cholesterol or cardiovascular problems. It is stated that:
” consumption of whole dairy products within characteristic dietary patterns is in reverse associated with the risk of obesity. “
Although it is not conclusive, it opens the door to further investigations.
We refer to custards, chocolate mousse and the like. Although most are made from milk, they also have a lot of added sugar. Some up to 25 grams, so with one unit we would be matching or exceeding the minimum amounts recommended by the WHO for children.
Can I choose another type of healthy yogurt?
The truth is that since there are many little recommended options, it seems that the field of choice is a little reduced. Nothing could be further from the truth.
There are other types of yogurt that we can also eat with peace of mind and are good options for our daily diet:
- Natural Greek Yogurt
- Natural kefir.
- Skyr: is a type of Icelandic yogurt, a little creamier and more acidic flavor. At the nutritional level, it gives us more protein.
- Other dairy products such as quark or fresh smoothie cheese.
And, of course, we always have the option to customize them. As we want: adding cut fruits, raisins, dried apricots, dates, grated coconut, vanilla, nuts, seeds or dark chocolate. We see that the combinations are endless so, impossible to get bored! Published By Healthzigzag.com