How to treat cracked facial skin
The skin of the face is particularly sensitive to difficult climatic conditions, to the drying caused by certain facial cleansers as well as to other irritating factors. The skin can dry out, flake and crack. It may be helpful to know some home remedies to treat your skin . It is also important to know when to see your doctor for further medical evaluation and for proper treatment.
There are different strategies to prevent drying of the skin
Go back to the causes of drying out to help eliminate (or limit) the impact of responsible environmental factors . These include:
- long-term showers or baths (staying in the water can dry out your skin)
- aggressive soaps (mild cleansers are more suitable for cracked skin)
- the pools
- cold and windy climates
- irritating clothing (such as scarves) which can cause a skin reaction
Cleanse your face quickly and without going too hard
The less your skin is exposed to water and cleansers, the better. Use mild soaps or cleansers, and avoid rubbing.
Take care in your bath or shower
Do you think that an abundance of water will help rehydrate your skin? In truth, your skin is likely to dry out if you wet it too much. Your baths and showers should not last more than five or ten minutes .
- It may be helpful to add ingredients such as natural oils (such as mineral oils, almond oil or avocado oil) or add a cup of oatmeal or bicarbonate of soda in your bath . Bathing can soothe dry skin (as long as you don’t take it too frequently or for too long), and adding one of the ingredients from the previous list can help keep your skin hydrated.
Read Also: Benefits of Avocado for Skin
- Gently pat your face to dry your skin after bathing or showering. If you rub your face too vigorously with a towel, your skin may crack more.
- Choose soaps also softer bath because they are less irritating and less will dry out your skin .
Use lots of moisturizing creams or lotions 
As soon as you get out of the bath, gently pat your skin (do not rub it too hard) with a towel to preserve its natural hydration as much as possible. Also apply a moisturizer immediately after the bath, and at other times of the day.
- If your skin is sensitive and quick to allergic reactions, choose a moisturizer or lotion on which it is specified that it is “hypoallergenic”.
- If you have acne-prone skin, choose a moisturizer or “non-comedogenic” lotion.
- If your skin is extremely dry in some places, petroleum jelly can work wonders . If you prefer a less fatty product, try Aquaphor products from the Eucerin brand. Applied to particularly dry areas, this product is very effective and can help heal quickly. However, the aspect obtained may dissuade you from going out in public. You will have oily and shiny skin, which is why it is rather advisable to apply it in the evening before going to bed.
- Cover your face with petroleum jelly or Aquaphor if you live in an area where winter is particularly cold and dry. This will help protect your skin from drying out and the risk of cracking.
Read Also: Methods: How You Can Treat Your Oily Skin
Read Also: How To Moisturize Your Face Naturally
Do not tear off pieces of skin or scratch the cracked areas of your face 
This can be tempting, but it can also thwart the repair cycle of your skin, and make your problem worse.
Hydrate yourself properly 
It is very important to drink at least eight glasses of water a day, or more if you are exercising. This will compensate for the fluids lost when you sweat.
- Give your skin every chance to stay well hydrated. Even if it’s not going to “heal” your skin, it can really help.
You should know when you go to a doctor 
If your skin does not show any signs of improvement after two weeks of treatment with moisturizers and the elements mentioned above, it is better to consult a professional. If you have read or scaly lesions on the face and they deteriorate, it is better to consult a dermatologist (a doctor specialized in skincare). The faster the better.
- Even if cracked skin is a relatively common phenomenon, if you see specific lesions (unusual bumps or spots) or a sudden rash, or if your skin deteriorates quickly, go to your doctor. This problem could be effectively treated with a medicated cream, or, in the rarest cases, more complex medical treatments.
- Changes in the condition of your skin can be a sign of a particular allergy or sensitivity. Discuss this possibility with your doctor.
Stop smoking. The smoke dries out the skin due to a lack of nutrients. It can also accelerate aging of the skin, and cause more wrinkles to appear .