Remedies to cure a dry throat
Although the term “dry throat” is fairly self-explanatory, the term can refer to different types of discomfort, such as itching or irritation, which can cause difficulty swallowing, pain, feeling of being dusty at the back of the throat or altered taste . Dry throat is often caused by medical conditions, often moderate, but sometimes dangerous, it can also be due to environmental factors, mouth breathing and dehydration. By using certain types of remedies to treat the usual symptoms while trying to get rid of the pathologies which can dry the mucous membranes of the throat, you can often cure effectively or at least relieve your dry throat.
Read Also: 7 Remedies To Calm Your Dry Cough Naturally
Take a steam bath
Putting yourself in a humid environment will, as if you were using a humidifier, provide a certain humidity that will heal your dry mucous membranes. You can use this as an excuse to occasionally take a long, hot steam bath.
- The other method of steaming is to boil a pan of water, remove it from the heat, cover your head with a towel, and lean over the pan. However, check beforehand that the steam is not too hot .
- It is possible to get very economical devices that you can place in a room or near your bed. They seem to be more effective than boiling water.
Read Also: The benefits of the sauna on health
Gargle with warm saltwater
Salt destroys germs in the mouth and throat and helps relieve irritation and dryness. The act of gargling with salt water a few times a day will help relieve throat dried up .
- Add a teaspoon of salt to a glass of water.
- Gargle 1 to 2 times daily, each time for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Do not swallow the water after gargling.
- There are some people who gargle with a solution of apple cider vinegar (a teaspoon of the product in a glass of water . The taste will not be good, but it can work.
Cover your throat with honey to cure dry throat
At least, honey tastes much better than apple cider vinegar or saltwater!
This could be one of the best remedies to cure a dry throat.
- In addition to the protective properties that its thick texture gives it, honey also has antiseptic properties . No wonder bees love it.
Take lozenges to stimulate saliva production
Sucking on hard candies or lozenges, like chewing gum, will stimulate saliva production. In turn, this will help soothe your throat dried up .
- Choose only sugar-free products, your dentist will appreciate it.
Drink hot tea to cure dry throat
In most people, warm liquids have a soothing effect. So, tea with a low caffeine level in which you mix lemon and honey can very well relieve your throat. Drink hot tea to cure your dry throat.
- Common teas such as chamomile can also help, but there are some people who swear by teas made with ginger, peppermint, cloves, marshmallow roots, root licorice, red elm and echinacea .
- You can also add cinnamon or honey, they both have strong healing powers.
The Bottom Line
- Most of the time, a dry throat is nothing more than an annoyance and not a serious health problem, but if it persists or there are other symptoms like tiredness, aches, fever, the appearance of white patches on the tonsils or tongue, or even coughing up blood or something like coffee grounds, you should contact a doctor.
- Let us know in the comment box if you know any other remedies to cure dry throat.