How To Stop Biting Your Nails?
Biting your nails is a general symptom of boredom or anxiety. Just like biting your lips or biting your nails. it’s probably something you do unconsciously when you need an outlet. You can use bitter nail polish or a distraction method to stop this behavior if your habit of biting your nails annoys you and you want to get rid of it. In some people, this bad habit is related to a disorder called dermatophagia, quite similar to an obsessive-compulsive disorder. You can be treated by a professional if it concerns you to help you stop biting your nails for good.
Learn how to predict when you will bite your nails
Start by noticing when you are about to bite your nails if it is a fairly new habit. Know what feels leads to this impulse. You could hold back before biting your nails, being aware of when you are doing it. The next time you approach your nails, stop and think.
- Ask yourself what you feel as you approach your nails of the mouth. In most cases, you may feel bored or anxious. Other signs of anxiety include shortness of breath, faster heart rate, and sweating.
- You will consciously realize what’s going on the next time you feel that same boredom or anxiety again. You can rest your nails before biting them.
Cover your nails with bandages to stop biting
Try to use bandages on the tips of your nails if you have trouble catching yourself before biting your nails. Wrap each nail of plaster to cover it completely. Wear these plasters all day long, so that you feel them in your mouth every time you bite your nails .
- You can get rid of this habit because of the unpleasant sensation of dressing in the mouth and the discomfort you may feel when wearing these plasters in public.
- You can use clear tape as a more discreet solution. You can also just cover the nails that you bite most often.
- You can also wear gloves to cover your nails.
Use a nail polish with a bitter taste
This works for those who bite their nails, and may also be suitable for those who bite their fingers. Obtain a nail polish with a bitter taste that is also known as a nail repellent. Varnish your nails with this product. Put in a generous amount and also let the product cover the skin around the nails. The bad taste will dissuade you when you put your nails in your mouth .
- You could also try other bitter substances, such as vinegar or lemon juice.
- You can smear your fingers with a mixture of coconut oil and cayenne pepper. Just be careful not to touch your eyes.
Keep your fingers and mouth busy
You will not be able to continue your habit if your fingers and mouth are busy with something else. This is called a compensatory method. After being used for a few weeks, you need to bite your nails should be gone .
- Chew gum to keep your mouth busy, suck on mint lozenges or hard candies, or take a bottle of water with you to drink regularly.
- Try to pencil, knit, fold your fingers or sit on your hands to keep your fingers busy.
Treat one nail at a time
Some bites find it useful to protect one nail at a time. Choose the one you are most likely to bite. Concentrate deliberately so as not to bite that nail. You are allowed to bite others, but this one is safe. After one to two weeks, you’ll see a difference by leaving a quiet nail.
- Your preserved finger will not be swollen, it will not bleed or be damaged in any way. He will look healthy, compared to others.
- Seeing this difference can be a motivation to stop biting all your nails.
- Save all your nails gradually, one after the other, until you do not bite them anymore.